Friday 18 July 2014

Be thankful and grateful

  

(1)  Job interview

One young academically-inclined candidate applied for a managerial position in an established company. After passing few interviews, he had the final hurdle with the director.

The director was impressed that the youth had consistently performed well from the junior level to postgraduate research. He asked, “Did you obtain any scholarship in school?” and the youth answered “None”.

The director enquired further, ”Is it your dad paid for your school fees?”

The youth replied, “My dad passed away after my birth and it was my mom who brought me up by working as a washerwoman.”
 
The director requested the youth to show his hands, and was surprised to see both so smooth and flawless.

The director asked, ”Did you ever help your mom to wash any clothes before?”

The youth replied, “Never, my mom insisted that I concentrate on my study and read more books, Moreover, she can do the job much better than me.”

The director requested that he got back home and help to cleanse his mum’s hands, and be back tomorrow morning.

As the youth felt that his chance of landing the job is high, he happily offered to cleanse his mum’s hands. She was pleased but felt his behaviour was strange.

When he cleansed her hands slowly, his tears dropped because this is the first time he found so much wrinkles and bruises on them. Some bruises incited intense pains that she shivered when bathed with water. For once, he realized that it is this pair of hands that provided him the school fees, and the bruises is the price that paid for his future.

After finished up with the cleansing of his mom’s hands, he proceeded to wash up the remaining clothes for her. That night, both mum and son had a long chat.

Next morning, the youth reported to the director’s office.

The director noticed the tear in the youth’s eyes, asked: ”Can you tell me what have you done and learned yesterday in your house?”

The youth spoke about what he had done the previous night.

The director asked, ”Please tell me your feeling.”

The youth said, No 1, I learn what is appreciation, without my mum, I would not be able to graduate. No 2, By working with her, then only I can realize how difficult and tough to get things done.  No 3, I understand the importance and value of family relationship.


The director said, ”This is what I am looking for. I want to recruit a person that can appreciate the help of others, know the suffering of others to get things done, and do not put money as his top priority in life to be my manager. You are hired.” 


The director explained, “An overly-protected child develops the “entitlement mentality” and always put himself first. At work, he expects all colleagues to give way and when he becomes a manager, he has little empathy for his employees and is quick to blame others. Even if he scores well, the success is temporary at best. He will then engage in office politics to fight for higher status and money. Thus, it is not healthy for companies to hire such selfish individuals.”

Going forward, this young person worked very hard, and received the due respect of his subordinates, who worked diligently with him as a team.  The company benefited as a whole with corporate results improved tremendously.


(2)  Blind love

There was a blind girl who hated herself because of her handicap. She also hated everyone, except her doting boyfriend who always stood by her. She told him, ‘If I could only see the world, I will marry you.’

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend.

He asked, ‘Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?’

She was least expected to see a pair of closed eyelids on his face. She cannot imagine how life can be with such frightening sight. Instinctively, she turned down his proposal.

Left with a broken heart, the blind guy penned a note to her: ‘Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.’

This is how the human brain often works when our status changes. Only a very few remember what life was like before, and who was always by their side in the darkest moments.

(3) Never JUDGE others!
 
A doctor rushed into the hospital after being called in for an urgent surgery. He changed his clothes and proceeded immediately to the surgery block.

A boy was lying on the operating table and his father waited anxiously for the doctor’s arrival. Once he spotted him, the dad yelled, “Why did you take all this time to come? Don't you know that my son’s life is in danger? Don’t you have the sense of responsibility?”

The doctor smiled and said, “I am sorry, I wasn't in the hospital and I came the fastest I could after receiving the call. And now, I wish you’d calm down so that I can do my work.”

“Calm down?! What if your son was in this room right now?  Would you calm down? If your own son dies now what will you do?” said the father angrily.

The doctor smiled again and replied:” I will say what Job said in the Holy Book. From dust we came and to dust we return, blessed be the name of God. Doctors cannot prolong lives. Go and intercede for your son, we will do our best by God’s grace.”

“Giving advice when we’re not concerned is so easy,” murmured the father.

The surgery took some hours after which the doctor was out happily.

“Thank goodness! Your son is saved.” And without waiting for the father’s reply he carried on his way running.” If you have any question, ask the nurse!”

“Why is he so arrogant? He couldn't wait some minutes so that I ask about my son’s state.” commented the father when seeing the nurse minutes after the doctor left.

The nurse answered, tears coming down her face: “His son died yesterday in a road accident, he was in the burial when we called him for your son’s surgery. And now that he saved your son’s life, he left running to finish his son’s burial.”


Implication:  NEVER BE TOO PREJUDICIAL. DONT ALWAYS THINK WE ARE THE MOST MISERABLE WHEN A CRISIS BEFALLS.  THERE ARE OTHERS IN WORST SITUATIONS THAN US.  ACCEPT ALL HAPPENINGS, BE THANKFUL AND GRATEFUL TO WHAT LIFE HAS BESTOWED ON US AT ALL TIMES.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a blog created to provide and share information for the benefits of everyone into physical and spiritual health. Some information are extracted from unknown sources or the internet superhighways and edited for public viewing. If you happened to be the source provider and do not like such display, please write in and I will remove the materials as soon as possible. As I reiterate this is a free sharing blog, it is only meaningful if all engaging parties have access to the information presented in the most unbiased manner. Thus, please be more accomodating and participative if you wish. Sure you have more to gain than lose. Happy reading!

Administrator
Leonard